Friday, July 14, 2006

A Very Good Day.

3 great things happened yesterday:

1- I finished updating my website (see post below) - hooray!

2- My first issue of Artists & Illustrators magazine arrived. I haven't had the chance to read through it all yet, but there are lots of interviews with different artists and articles on different techniques and inspiration. can't wait to sink my teeth in.

3- I had a fantastic meeting with illustrator Dean Gorissen. I'm all about meeting other illustrators at the moment because even though I love illustration, it can be a lonely thing to do. Dean's wife works with a friend of mine, and he graciously spent almost 2 hours with me, talking about art, showing me his work, going through my folio and commenting on what he thinks works/doesn't work. I left with my mind swirling with ideas and thoughts. I can't wait to sit down and try some of the suggestions he made about my painting, this weekend for sure.

He said he thought my digital work was of professional quality but my painting still needs to reach that 'next level.' and I totally agree. He made some suggestions for refining it. He liked all the details of the black line, but thought the black itself made the pieces look heavy and weighed down, especially with the black border. So I might try doing some of the linework in different colours in my next piece. Of course, this is just one person's opinion, but it is the opinion of someone who has been in the business for many years now, who is successful, and who knows the market. I'm still in experimental stages so I'm willing to try anything and see where it takes me!

I am primed for the next I-F topic! hope it's a good one. Stay tuned sportsfans.....

No comments: