Thursday, October 18, 2007

I-F: Extremes



something a bit japanese inspired...


I can think of nothing more extreme than the contrast between pure black and pure white. Japanese and chinese art and calligraphy especially are so beautiful in their simplicity and use of black. I would love to study sumi-e someday, maybe when I GO BACK TO JAPAN! (no trips planned, but one day, I promise myself I will. I loved it and 5 days was definitely not enough there)

and while i was skulking around looking for some examples of sumi-e painting, I came across this woman's art that completely blows my mind. Her name is Susana b. Endo and lives in New York. I think this is my favourite.

6 comments:

flossy-p said...

Another night owl. Off to bed young lady!

hehehe, just kidding. :)

Cool idea. Very dynamic indeed.

Angela Matteson said...

Very nice work! I love your take on the topic.

Anonymous said...

i agree sumie paintings are great and i like ur version here too: hope u do better then i have in getting back to japan. my kids have been there more then i have. michael dailey

Alicia PadrĂ³n said...

Really like your line work here. It flows like the bird.. :o)

Anonymous said...

Great sumi-e feel, and a really nice flow to the brush strokes. Nicely done. You're absolutely right, 5 days in Japan in nowheres near enough.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kim, Just had to drop you a note to say I have opened up my local paper this morning and seen your beautiful children's week poster. It looks fabulous, congratulations.