Monday, March 27, 2006

I-Fri : Monster

What a great topic! I had so many ideas spring to mind, but this one kept coming to the forefront:



Happy with the idea, but *sigh* not so much with the execution. I feel all I've been doing is posting my mistakes lately! (sorry!) But this is a learning process for me and I am definitely learning. I was going well with this one, getting nice deep colours, but then I made the ground too dark (why did I pick blue?) and then all of a sudden everything looked muddy. I salvaged it partially by lifting some of the colour from the ground and monster, which has made some interesting textures in itself and which I might explore later as a technique, but for now this one goes on the stack of ideas "to redo when i have time".

Any ideas of what I could do to make this better? (be gentle...) I'm always interested to hear how different artists approach the same task - the essence of i-fri, i suppose.

well it's back to the drawing board. I'm definitely going to take that watercolours class, but it's not till late April so I've got a few more weeks of flailing ahead! ;-J

10 comments:

Heartful said...

I think your execution is great! I love this picture, so sweet!

Unknown said...

Great work indeed!

Unknown said...

i love this!!! great job!

Lou said...

Great job with this. I love that his stuffed animal is the same monster as the one he is playing with.

marc said...

Bonjour,
Nice monster!Beautiful drawing!
J'aime beaucoup!Bravo
Good day

steve said...

Great take on the subject!

Unknown said...

sweet!!

Susan Mitchell said...

Very sweet! well done!

carla said...

This is a darling monster! I like the way you made the horns. The only change I would make (although it looks like watercolor) is that the dark blue underneath him should either be a different color of lighter so the figures stand out more. Even so - the characters and technique are great!

CarolineJarvis said...

hehe! Great monster.... also loving the cows... great style!