Monday, August 28, 2006

I-Fri: Run

Last week was "Children's Book Week" in Melbourne (amazing that such a thing exists!) and the major event is on one day where they have face painting, readings by authors, and demonstrations by illustrators. It was quite cool, although they put the illustrators in a different place this year, and I didn't find them until the end. Still got to see Elise Hurst and Mini Goss in action though, so it was good.

Also, the illustrator who won CBCA Picture Book of the Year last year does all the artwork and promotional material. Alison Lester won last year (see a previous post about her winning book here-it's the last book) - and she has quickly become one of my favourite Australian illustrators. It's my dream/fantasy to have an apprenticeship with her. Too bad she lives way the heck out in the boonies. Anyway, I think one of the best ways to learn and to inform yourself in new things is to imitate the masters, so this painting of mine is my version of Alison's horses which appeared on the Children's Book Week poster, which I bought, and which now hangs in my studio (see portion of it below). Hers are infinitely cuter, but I still like my horses with their spindly legs, and the background really just 'happened' - it was quite cool...

27 comments:

° said...

love the colors in this and ur use of line looks so free nice work

Michelle Lana said...

HI! Gosh, your work is beautiful....love the horse...very cute!

Anonymous said...

Not only they are running, but your horses seem to be having a great conversation(:)

Amy Zaleski said...

This is so playful! I love the fun style and look of this piece!

marcisenders said...

The horses are adorable!

Susan Mitchell said...

They are so cute! And i love the background - it looks like they are really kicking up some dust :)

Nikki said...

Hey Kim!

Our children's book week isn't until November here in the states, but your right....It's a great way to celebrate what we do!!
Love you horses! I am doing the same theme and should finish the piece this morning and post!

Paula Adams Perez said...

Great horses! I think this stuff is fascinating, I'm just getting into the Children's Illustration thing, I'm going to take a 10 week course starting next month. Come see my "run!"

Monkey Feet said...

Very cute! I love their knobbly knees!

Jay said...

wow! beautiful color and feel like running :) I really like this!

Amy Farrier said...

these guys look like they're having so much fun! nice job.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh my!! I LOVE those horses!!!! Very beautiful work! :D

Unknown said...

simpily charming! Love the happy horses!

Geninne said...

I like your horsies better!
Beautiful illo :-)

claudine hellmuth said...

what great horsies!!

Unknown said...

wonderful illo!!!

Majeak Ann said...

love your horses...wonderful..wonderful...

-Marjorie

tusen said...

aww, they are soooo cute!

georg said...

You make so happy images, and these horses are wonderful. Great!

Anja said...

Wonderful, cute horses!

irisz said...

i really love your horse!!

jen said...

i really love the horses, such great colours and textures, and the movement... there's almost a "clippity-clop" thing going on there! fantastic stuff!!

valerie walsh said...

this is so wonderful! I love horses and yours are the cutest little buggers! Darling!!!

Rob Christianson said...

Yet again, kudos Lil Kim. I love your stuff. I love the look of your blog with the little "my stuff" headers. I love your illustration. Heck, I just love it all! Good show!

Natura said...

Love your horses, they are so lovely. I find quite amazing as you that illustration week, great you had the opportutity to go and have fun :)

ELLA ELVIANA said...

he-hee...sweet horses!

Carol Roque said...

aww..what cool horses! hehe..so pretty.