Sunday, January 27, 2008

Go ahead, make my day.

Well, my day was definitely made by Nicole passing on the 'you make my day' award to me. Thanks Nicole! If you don't know Nicole's work, definitely go check it out, her collages are totally unique and she uses texture in such a great way. Some of my favourites are here and here.

Here’s how the “You Make My Day” award works:

1. Write a post with links to 5 blogs that make me think and/or make my day.
2. Acknowledge the post of the award giver.
3. Display the "You Make my Day Award" logo
4. Tell the award winners that they have won by commenting on their blogs with the news.

I wanted to pass this on before I go overseas. I thought I might choose some people who I have just discovered recently, but also some artists that I have 'rediscovered' lately.

It's funny you know, I started this blog over 2 years ago now - for the first year I posted a lot, did I-F almost every week, and met lots of great people. Last year, I went travelling for 4 months and when I got back went straight into obsessively looking to buy a house, then moving, etc. etc., so blogging sort of fell off my radar a bit. I'm excited to get back into it this year though, and to keep meeting people and making the world a smaller, happier, friendlier place. Doesn't that sound good? Well, let's start with these lovely people who totally make my day:

Johanna Wright - her work is so whimsical, with a quiet beauty that hits you in all the right places. (Plus, she lives in Portland, OR, where I lived for 8 years!)
Kathy Weller - If you haven't already seen Kathy's work, check out her fun sparkly illos, especially of bunnies, which are just too cute for school!
Gorillustrator - I'm really enjoying the art of Lee Cosgrove, otherwise known as the Gorillustrator. He has this incredible sense of lighting, and his images look like high-end hollywood storyboards! I always learn something visiting his blog.
Limoon - Limoon is my new favourite illustrator. Click on 'my little creations' to see her asian-influenced beauties. She's got such a great sense of perspective.
Green Weeds - Sarah makes wonderful collaged paintings that i have been drooling over of late. Go check her out!

And to everyone else who visits this blog and leaves a comment (and even to those who don't) - you all make my day. Even though I-F is of course creation for creation's sake, it is still a nice little boost when i find i have more than 3 comments! so thanks everyone :-)

5 comments:

Danielle McDonald said...

What a lovely idea!
Just wanted to wish you all the best for your trip! Have a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear all about it! Take care and give Alicia a great big hug for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh... i will try to write in english... sorry for it... i 'm french... first of all... It makes me great pleasure that you like my creations.
It is true that on my blog, I do not have much comment unlike many visits ... So I often find it difficult to know what people think of what I do, my little universe ...
I am pleased, therefore, to know that you have deserved them sensitive ... It affects me a lot ... And allows me to continue on my path.
Thank you.
A bientôt Lil ^-^

Unknown said...

Wow, thank you SO MUCH for the honor!!! I'm so glad that I make your day!!! :) :) :)

I will do the same on my blog now!!! Best wishes to you for a Happy Monday and a happy week!!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this! You made MY day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim.
Id just like to say a big thanks for the You Make My Day award.

It made my day to know that people enjoy looking at my stuff and its very encouraging for me.

All the best for your trip.
Thanks,
Lee
:)